Friday, May 8, 2009

Joys of Spring

I love this time of year, when every time I go out to the garden there's something new emerging from the ground, or promising to bloom.  My lilacs have formed nice deep-purple buds, my ox-eye daisies have dozens of little buds on them, and I can see purple peaking out of the heads of my allium (flowering onions).  The first of my species tulips have formed their flower heads, and my dianthus, russian sage, phlox, daylilies, butterfly bush, baptisia, and baby's breath are all starting to become lush.  My recently-transplanted solomon's seal (moved so I could build a potato bed in my back yard) has shot up and is about to open.  And little lupines are popping up all over the place where I planted seeds a few weeks ago.






I put out some of my seedlings into my coldframe, including nicotiana, iberis, anemone, alyssum, dianthus, sweet peas, thunbergia, bachelor buttons, and nasturtiums.  I'm still holding off on putting out some of my more tender annuals until they are ready to be put out into my cold frame. (With all this predicted rain, I'm waiting for some warmer days.)

I also put out my second flat of brussel sprouts, the first doing quite well.

After the last few days of rain, it was nice to go out this sunny morning and survey the new growth.

No comments:

Post a Comment