Friday, April 17, 2009

Worm Bin

Today Sage and I made a worm bin. The process is rather easy, and the results (I hear) are well worth it.  Worm castings are one of the best composts you can find, and I plan on using the run-off for a liquid fertilizer (diluted 1 part run-off to 10 parts water.)

I found an old sealable bin in my garage, and washed it out.
I drilled 28 small air holes near the top of the bin for ventilation.
I drilled a large hole near the bottom and corked it, to drain off the liquid compost.
My daughter and I shredded newspaper, watered it til moist (not soaking wet) and fluffed it up so it’s about three inches high. I added some leaf litter, a handful of dirt, and about the same amount of kitchen scraps.
I added the worms (purchased at FW Horch in Brunswick for $6. Great folks!)
I put on the lid.
I got my daughter to decorate it with stickers and drawings.

1 comment:

  1. oh mercy, I feel a bit squeamish at the thought of those worms... but well done you two for being so brave!! I'm sure it'll all be worth it :)