Monday, May 3, 2010

Weeding and Feeding

Yesterday was my first day back at Skillins Greenhouse.  It was nice to see so many gardeners gearing up for the Spring and Summer, though my main job was telling people not to plant their annuals and warm-weather veggies yet.  I ended up buying a $10 confederate jasmine in a 1-gallon pot.  This particular jasmine is one of my all-time favorite flowers, and its blooms in San Diego in February got me through the hardest time of the school years there, so it's nice to now have one greeting me at the door every time I come home.  

Today, I got to spend a good portion of the evening in the garden, pulling out the weeds, especially the little ox-eye daisy shoots popping up everywhere, and the dis-obedient plants running taking over corners of the garden.  (Both are beautiful plants, the latter being one of my favorites, but they are quite unruly.)  Earlier I diluted some seaweed emulsion and applied it to my starts.

Flowers have opened on my strawberry plants, as well as on my late-blooming tulips (in early May?!?  That's creepy.).  The first flower buds have appeared on my reblooming daylilies.  And the first signs of life have appeared on my clethra (summersweet).  For some reason, I don't have any signs of flower buds on my lilacs, even though others in town have great blooms.

Finally, despite all the advice I gave to Skillins customers yesterday, I took a gamble and put my parsley and rosemary out in one of my window boxes.  I'll cover them if a frost threatens.

No comments:

Post a Comment