Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Still no frost; garden clean-up

Still no hard frost here, which is bizarre.  Last night was the first close call, but my cosmos, snapdragons and nicotiana are still producing buds.  I now have a 7-foot cosmos blooming in the middle of my peach tree, which makes it look like the peach tree is blooming.  My mums are doing great, and I still have some Russian sage and black-eyed susans in bloom.  

Today was a clean-up day:  I sucked up two bags of leaves (mostly oak) in my electric leaf blower and composted them, one straight into the bin, the other I turned over into my raised bed to let it break down over time.  I also pulled all the leaves of my irises and day-lilies, and cut down my asters and (dis-)obedient plants, which I should have done sooner since they've gone to seed.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! You've been lucky to not be hit by frost. We woke up to everything covered with frost again this morning. I just purchased a leaf blower/shredder that should be here by this weekend. I am looking forward to composting my leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every time I cruise through Portland, I'm astonished that things are still growing. We've been frosted out here near Sebago Lake, but good, and repeatedly.

    Enjoy the last of the season...

    ReplyDelete