Sunday, October 18, 2009

bed preparation

Today I continued preparing the (unframed) raised bed that I'm putting in in my front garden, shelling out for two bags of Coast of Maine Bar Harbor Blend (a great mix of soil, compost, seaweed extract and peat).  Before I did that, I threw 100 chiondoxa bulbs underneath it, and tamped them down with my feet, so that they are now buried about 2-3 inches.  Together with the alliums there, they should make a nice Spring display before I put in my vegetables.

On one side of the raised bed, I put in five reblooming daylilies (75% off at Lowe's) as a margin, and on the other side, freshened up my pathway with two more bags of pea gravel.

All this was done in this afternoon's rain, so I didn't need to water anything in. 

Here's to Spring planning!  I love the anticipation that comes with putting in lots of bulbs, then waiting for the blooms in Spring.  Too bad it's such a long wait.

6 comments:

  1. "75% Lowes"? 75 percent what big D? ...75 % Day Lily - 25% cactus? 3/4 crazy? 3/4 plant, 1/4 alien???
    Jumpin' Joe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi David,

    I'm another Maine garden blogger, and I wanted to let you know I posted a link to your blog on my blog, Henbogle, yesterday. I JUST discovered your blog and will enjoy reading your past, and future, posts.

    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ali:

    I've read your blog in the past, and have enjoyed it. Thanks for getting in touch. I'll try to keep posted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad to see your blog getting more exposure. I know I have enjoyed reading it this past summer. A lot of people read Ali's blog (Henbogle) so don't be surprised if you see a jump in comments and "followers."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many thanks for the support. I see GrafixMuse is also on Henbogle's site, so I hope that has brought you more readers too.

    ReplyDelete