Sunday, September 6, 2009

new planter

I got to spend most of this beautiful day today building a new planter aside my deck (a companion to the other I built earlier this summer).  This planter gets more sun than the other (it's right next to the raised bed), so I've decided to use it for growing vegetables.  It's a good 30 square feet, so there's room to plant a lot.  After building it and filling it with soil (and composted cow manure), I sowed carrots, spinach, and mustard.  It's a great time to plant those crops, and if it looks like we'll get an early frost, I'll cover them.  Recently I purchased a small greenhouse (3 ft deep by 5 ft wide by 3 ft tall), and it'll fit nicely over the planter, giving me an easy means to cover my crops and grow food until -- well, we'll see:  I'm hoping at least til Thanksgiving.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That sounds great; you'll have lots of fun with this as well as great tasting veggies for many months out of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Big D,
    it's gonna be 25 below, & you'll be eatin' fresh lettuce!
    -Joe

    ReplyDelete